ANT Lawyers

Vietnam Law Firm with English Speaking Lawyers

ANT Lawyers

Vietnam Law Firm with English Speaking Lawyers

ANT Lawyers

Vietnam Law Firm with English Speaking Lawyers

ANT Lawyers

Vietnam Law Firm with English Speaking Lawyers

ANT Lawyers

Vietnam Law Firm with English Speaking Lawyers

Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn Work permit in Vietnam. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng
Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn Work permit in Vietnam. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng


Issuance of Work Permit for Foreigner Online

From October 2nd 2017, the issuance of work permits to foreign employees working in Vietnam via Internet will be applied in accordance with the guidance of Circular No. 23/2017/TT-BLDTBXH issued by the Ministry of Labor – Invalids and Social Affairs on August 15th 2017.
Accordingly, the issuance and re-issuance of work permits for foreigners will be made via the electronic portal: Employers must register their account to log into the Portal.

Before at least 7 working days, from the date the foreign worker intends to commence work, the employer must declare the information in the declaration form and submit the application for work permit via the electronic portal. The dossier includes: The declaration form and enclosed papers in accordance with the provisions of law on e-transactions and management of foreign laborers working in Vietnam; if the attached documents are in the form of paper, the employer must convert to electronic versions like pdf, doc, docx or jpg.
Within 5 working days from the date of receiving the dossier, the licensing agency shall reply via email to the employer. If the dossier is invalid, the licensing agency must clearly state the reasons.
Upon receipt of the result of notification of valid dossiers, the employers shall submit directly or by post the originals of the work permit application dossiers to the licensing agency for inspection, comparison and archive regulations. Within a maximum of 08 working hours from the date of receipt of the original application, the licensing agency shall return the result to the employer.
This Circular comes into effect from October 2nd 2017.
ANT Lawyers is a law firm in Vietnam located in the business centers of Hanoi, Danang and Ho Chi Minh City.  We provide convenient access to our clients. Please contact us to book your time in advanced to let us provide our best service.
Call us at (+84) 24 32 23 27 71 or send us email


How Foreigners Could Work in Vietnam Legally?

Foreigners working in business set-up in Vietnam are expatriates which are normally required work permit in Vietnam.
As the Vietnam law’s restrictions to encourage employment of local employee over foreign employee, normally, the employment of an expatriate is limited to a managerial position or to a position which Vietnamese employee are not yet qualified.

There are exemption of work permit in Vietnam as following cases:
A capital contributing member or owner of a limited liability company which is registered to operate in Vietnam;
A member of the Board of Management of a shareholding company which is registered to operate in Vietnam;
A chief of a representative office or of a project of an international organization or a non-governmental organization in Vietnam;
The foreigner enters Vietnam for less than three months to offer services;
The foreigner enters Vietnam to work for less than three months or to handle an emergency case and that cannot adequately be addressed within Vietnam;
A lawyer who has received a Certificate for the practice of law in Vietnam granted by the Ministry of Justice;
The foreigner is a student studying and working in Vietnam;
An intra-corporate transferee working in Vietnam;
The foreigner provides expert and technical consultancy services or undertakes other tasks with respect to research, formulation, evaluation, monitoring and assessment, management and implementation of a program or project using official development aid (“ODA”);
The foreigner has a media license issued by the MOFA;
The foreigner is appointed by a competent authority of a foreign country to teach at an international school which is managed by a foreign diplomatic office or an international organization in Vietnam;
The foreigner a volunteer;
The foreigner has a master’s degree or higher or similar qualifications and provides consultancy, teaching, or conducts scientific research at a university or vocational college for a period not exceeding thirty (30) days; or
The foreigner implements an international agreement signed by a Vietnamese government authority, a provincial body or a central socio-political organization.
In order for an expatriate to be exempted from a work permit, the employer must file an application with the provincial labor authority.  Chairman of the provincial People’s Committee will be consulted and if approval, he/she will issue a written consent to each employer regarding the employment of expatriate.

In order to ensure compliance in immigration, labor employment, foreign owned enterprises are suggested to consult with employment lawyers in Vietnam.  We at ANT Lawyers, a law firm in Vietnam with offices in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City would be able to assist clients in employment matters and could be reached at email: or office tel: +848 35202779.


Visa and Immigration Matters in Vietnam

Foreigners  entering  Vietnam  for  different  purposes  will  need proper  visas  issued,  failing  which  would lead  to  the  revocation,  invalidation  of  entry/exit/residence  permits issued  by  Vietnamese  competent authorities.  The  length  of stay  in  Vietnam for foreigners  depend  on the  visa type and the time  duration specified  on  the  visa  itself.    For  some  visas,  especially  work  related  visas,  the  foreigners  need  to  be sponsored by Vietnam enterprises  for working purpose.  The proper works  visa must be obtained before work permit in Vietnam would be issued and the foreigners could apply for temporary residence card to stay in Vietnam for a longer period.

Below lists down all visa symbol for references.
  1. NG1 –  Issued  to  members  of  delegations  invited  by  the  Secretary  General  of  Vietnam’s  Communist Party of, the President of Vietnam, the President of the National Assembly, the Prime Minister.
  2. NG2 –  issued  to  members  of  delegations  invited  by  standing  members  of  the  Secretariat  of  the Vietnam’s Communist Party, Deputy President of Vietnam, Deputy President of the National Assembly, Deputy  Prime  Minister,  President  of  Vietnamese  Fatherland  Front,  Executive  Judge  of  The  Supreme Court, Chief Procurator of the Supreme Procuracy, State Auditor General; members of delegations at the same  levels  of  Ministers,  Secretary  Generals  of  Provincial Communist  Authorities,  President  of  the People’s Committees of provinces.
  3. NG3 –   Issued   to   members   of   diplomatic   missions,   consular   offices,   representative   offices   of international organizations affiliated to the UN, representative offices of intergovernmental organizations and their spouses, children under 18 years of age, and housemaids during their term of office.
  4. NG4- Issued  to  people  who  come  to  work  with  diplomatic missions,  consular  offices,  representative offices  of  international  organizations  affiliated  to  the  UN,  representative  offices  of  intergovernmental organizations,  visitors  of  members  of  diplomatic  missions,  consular  offices,  representative  offices  of international   organizations   affiliated   to   the   UN,   and   representative   offices   of   intergovernmental organizations.
  5. LV1 –  Issued  to  people  who  come  to  work  with  units  affiliated  to  Vietnam’s  Communist  Party;  the National  Assembly,  the  government,  Central  Committee  of  Vietnamese  Fatherland  Front,  the  People’s Supreme  Court,  the  People’s  Supreme  Procuracy,  State  Audit  Agency,  Ministries,  ministerial  agencies, Governmental agencies, the People’s Councils, the People’s Committees of provinces.
  6. LV2 –  Issued  to  people  who  come  to  work  with  socio-political  organizations,  social  organizations, Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
  7. ĐT – Issued to foreign investors in Vietnam and foreign lawyers practicing in Vietnam.
  8. DN – Issued to people who come to work with companies in Vietnam.
  9. NN1 –  Issued  to  Managers  of  representative  offices  or  projects  of  international  organizations  and foreign non-governmental organizations in Vietnam.
  10. NN2 – Issued to heads of representative offices, branches of foreign traders, representative offices  of other foreign economic, cultural, professional organizations in Vietnam.
  11. NN3 –   Issued   to   people   who   come   to   work   with   foreign   non-governmental   organizations, representative  offices,  branches  of  foreign  traders,  representative  offices  of  other  foreign  economic, cultural, professional organizations in Vietnam.
  12. DH – Issued to people who come to study or serve internship.
  13. HN – Issued to people who come to attend conventions or conferences.
  14. PV1 – Issued to journalists who have permanent residences in Vietnam.
  15. PV2 – Issued to journalists who come to work for a short period of time in Vietnam.
  16. LĐ – Issued to people who come to work.
  17. DL – Issued to tourists.
  18. TT –  Issued  to  foreigners  that  are  parents,  spouse,  children under  18  years  of  age  of  the  foreigners issued  with  LV1,  LV2, ĐT,  NN1,  NN2,  UNIVERSITY,  PV1,  LĐ  visas,  or  foreigners  that  are  parents, spouse, children of Vietnamese citizens.
  19. VR – Issued to people who come to visit their relatives or for have other purposes.
  20. SQ – Issued to people at an overseas visa-issuing authority of Vietnam
It is  important that the immigration lawyers  in Vietnam to be retained for advice in regard to visa, work permit, temporary residence card or other immigration matters.


Cases that Foreigners Do Not Have to Apply for Work Permit

Pursuant to Decree No. 11/2016/ND-CP of the Government that will take effect April 1st 2016, the below cases of foreigner will not have to apply for work permit in Vietnam:

  • As capital contributing members or the owner of limited liability company.
  • As member of the Managing Board of the joint stock company.
  • As Head of the representative office, project of international organizations, non-governmental organizations in Vietnam.
  • Entry into Vietnam for less than 03 months to carry out the service offering.
  • Entry into Vietnam for less than 03 months to handle the incidents, technical situations and complicated technology arising that influence or threaten to production and business that Vietnam expert and foreign experts that currently in Vietnam cannot handle.
  • As foreign lawyers that are licensed to practice law in Vietnam under the provisions of the Law on Lawyers.
  • Under the provisions of the international treaties in which the Socialist Republic of Vietnam is a member.
  • As pupils and students studying in Vietnam and working in Vietnam but the employer must notify 07 days with state authorities on the provincial labor.
  • Moving within the enterprises in the range of 11 service sectors in the service commitments of Vietnam to the World Trade Organization, including: business, communication, construction, distribution, education, environment, finance, health, tourism, culture and transport;
  • Entry into Vietnam to provide advisory services and technical expertise or perform other tasks to serve the research, construction, appraisal, monitoring, evaluation, management and implementation of programs and projects funded with official development assistance (ODA) as prescribed or agreed in international treaties on ODA signed between the competent authorities of Vietnam and foreign countries;
  • Granted the work permit on information and press in Vietnam by the Vietnam Ministry of Foreign Affairs in accordance with law;
  • Sent to Vietnam by agencies and foreign organizations to teach and research in the international school under the jurisdiction of the foreign diplomatic representative agencies or international organizations in Vietnam or the Ministry of Education and Training certificated for teaching and researching in the educational and training institutions in Vietnam;
  • Volunteers certified by the foreign diplomatic representative agencies or international organizations in Vietnam
  • Entry into Vietnam working in the positions of professional, manager, executive or technical employees with working duration of less than 30 days and no more than 90 cumulative days in 01 years;
  • Entry into Vietnam to implement international agreements that agencies and organizations at the central and province have signed as in accordance with law;
  • Pupils and students studying in abroad schools and training institutions that have internship agreements in the agencies, organizations and enterprises in Vietnam;
  • Relatives of members of foreign representatives in Vietnam working after licensed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, except the case where international treaties that the Socialist Republic of Vietnam is a member that have other regulations;
  • Have official passport to work for state agencies, political organizations and political – social organizations;
  • Other cases decided by the Prime Minister on the proposal of the Ministry of Labour – Invalids and Social Affairs.


Revocation of the Work Permit

Cases that the work permit is revoked are:
a) The contents in the dossiers requesting for the issuance and re-issuance of work permit are fake;
b) The work permit has expired;
c) Foreign workers or employers do not comply with the contents stating in the work permit;
d) Termination of the labor contract;
e) The content of the labor contract is not true to the content of the work permit that has been issued;
f) The contracts or agreements on economic, trade, financial, banking, insurance, science and technology, culture, sport, education, vocational training, health care have expired or terminated;
g) There is document of the foreign party announced that they stopped sending foreign workers to work in Vietnam;
h) The employers terminate their business operations;
i) The foreign workers are imprisoned, dead or missing according to the statement of the Court;
k) The competent agency or organization request in written on the recall of work permit due to the violation of the provisions of the law of Vietnam by the foreign employees.

Department of Labor – Invalids and Social Affairs is authorized to revoke the work permit that has been granted.


New Rules on the Work Permit Granting Conditions

This new regulations take effect from April 1st 2016.

Decree 11/2016/ND-CP dated February 3rd 2016 detailing the implementation of the provisions on the granting of work permit to foreign laborers working in Vietnam. This Decree replaces the Decree 102/2013/ND-CP.

Firstly, the Decree 11/2016/ND-CP (Decree 11) clearly stipulating the concept of professionals, managers and CEO. Besides the concepts of current job position, Decree 11 added the concept for other positions that foreign workers undertake.
Foreign workers are considered professionals when they meet one of the two conditions: There is a written confirmation confirmed that they are experts from the agency, organization and business in foreign countries; At least have university degree or equivalent and have at least 03 years working experience in specialized majors in line with the position that foreign workers are expected to work in Vietnam; Other special cases will be decided by the Prime Minister.
The case where foreign workers are considered managers and CEO: Managers are people who manage the enterprise as defined in Clause 18, Article 4 of the Law on Enterprise or the heads and deputy heads of the agency or organization; CEO is the head and directly operating subsidiary agencies, organizations and businesses.
Secondly, Decree 11 also supplements the cases that are not subject to work permit application. In addition to the cases under the old regulations, Point e, Paragraph 2, Article 7 of Decree 11 supplements the cases of foreigners working in Vietnam in the position of experts, managers, CEO or technical labor with working time of less than 30 days and the cumulative time not exceeding 90 days in 01 years, will not have to applying for work permit.
For cases that are not subject to work permit application, foreigners still need to have the certificate of the Department of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs. The time limit for cases that are not subject to work permit application shall not exceed 02 years and in accordance with the terms of specific cases. (Old regulation did not specify the time limit).
Thirdly, the Decree 11 provides more details on the dossier requesting for the issuance of work permit. Specifically, Decree 11 provides that the health certificate must be valid for a period of 12 months from the signing date of the health argument, and still in effect at the time of work permit application.
Also in Article 10 of Decree 11, the dossier requesting for the issuance of work permit must have the criminal record card or written confirmation confirmed that foreign workers are not offenders or prosecuted for criminal responsibility, which are issued by foreign country. The case where foreign workers are residing in Vietnam, only the criminal record card must be granted by Vietnam. These documents are issued not more than 6 months from the date of issuance to the date of application.
Fourthly, the Decree also refers to dossier requesting for the issuance of work permits for some special cases. Compared with the old regulations, Decree 11 supplements Paragraph 8 of Article 10 on the dossier for some special cases as follows: Has been granted the work permit which is still valid and the employee works for another employer in the same job and position stating in the work permit; Has been granted the work permit which is still valid then the employee works in the different job and position stating in the work permit in accordance with the law but does not change the employer; Has been granted the work permit but it has expired as regulated in Article 174 of the Labor Code and then would like to continue to work in the same job and position stating in the work permit; Has been granted the work permit in the above cases based on the provisions in Decree 102/2013/ND-CP.
Lastly, Decree 11 mentions the cases that need to re-issue the work permit. Specifically, Decree 11 supplements in Article 13 that if the work permit is still valid for at least 5 days but not more than 45 days, it will be re-issued. (Old regulation does not have this case).
ANT Lawyers is Vietnam exclusive member of Prae Legal, an international law firm network, providing full ranges of legal services in Vietnam

For Vietnam legal matters or services, the clients could reach ANT Lawyers, the exclusive Vietnam law firm members via email at or call the telephone at +848 35202779.



Vietnam has recently issued a new law that put a stricter control on foreigners working in Vietnam.  With the changes being implemented from early November of 2013, the process to apply for work permit in Vietnam will take longer and would cost extra fees.

The work permit for foreigners in Vietnam will now require the approval from head of People’s Committee and that once it is issued, it will only be good for two years as max in compared with three years as regulated earlier.  ANT Lawyers’ employment and labour lawyers in Vietnam keep track of the changes in the employment and labour law in Vietnam and assist our client to cope with changes.   The Government has issued Decree 102/2013/ND-CP elaborating some articles of the new Vienam Labour Code 2012 on foreign workers in Vietnam. Accordingly, the employer applying for work permits of foreign employees must comply with the following procedure: step 1) make a report stating clearly the demand of employee in their companies, then send to the President of People’s Committee in order to apply for the permission of foreign worker employment; step 2) prepare documents and submit for work permits at Department of Labor and Social Welfare before 15 days at least of the date employees start work. The work permits shall be valid with maximum term of 2 years.
The new Decree also allows four group of others to work in Vietnam, including: i) Volunteers who work voluntarily without salary or wage; ii) The persons who are responsible to establish the commerce presences in Vietnam; iii) Managers, CEOs, specialists, technical workers who are trained in technology major at least 1 year and used to work at least 3 years in trained major; iv) The persons who are engaging in bidding projects and other projects in Vietnam.
Decree 102/20113/ND-CP takes effect on November 1st 2013 and replaces Decree 34/2008/ND-CP. If you need to apply for the work permits or relevant issues, we could assist.  ANT Lawyers, your lawyers in Vietnam


Report the Demand to Use Foreign Workers in Vietnam

In order to manage the usage of foreign workers in Vietnam, the Vietnam state authority has requested employers to provide explanation for such need to use foreign workers.  This will be the preliminary procedure before applying for work permit in Vietnam then temporary residence card in Vietnam for foreigners.  The report of demand to use of foreign workers has to meet the following requirements:

Demand to use foreign workers: The employer (except contractors) is responsible for determining the demand to use foreign employees for each position that the Vietnamese employee has not met the requirement and submit written explanation. In case the employer is a contractor, in the bidding documents, it is required to declare the number, qualifications, professional competence and experience of foreign workers mobilized to implement bidding packages.
Recipient: Chairman of People’s Committees of provinces and cities under central authority (hereinafter referred to as the provincial People’s Committee) where the employer is headquartered.
Periodic notification period: Every year, the employer (except contractor) is responsible for determining the demand to use foreign employees for explanation.
The period of notice for the first time: Before at least 30 days from the date the employer (except contractor) plans to recruit foreign employees, the employer must report explanations as provided in Paragraph 1 Article 4 of Decree No. 102/2013 / ND-CP on the demand to use foreign workers, including work position, number, qualifications, experience, salary, working hours and submit directly to the Department of Labour – Invalids and Social Affairs of provinces and cities under central authority (hereinafter referred to as the Department of Labor – Invalids and Social Affairs) where the employer is headquartered.
The period of notice the adjustment: The employer whom is approved to use foreign employees, that have changes in the demand for foreign workers, has to directly submit the report explaining the adjustment and supplementation at least 30 days before the expected day for new recruitment, additional recruitment or recruitment to replace foreign workers with the Department of Labour – Invalids and Social Affairs where the employer is headquartered.
ANT Lawyers will be available to assist the clients when required dealing with the employment matters for foreign workers in Vietnam.
For advice or service request, please contact us via email, or call +84 8 3520 2779.  To learn more about us, please visit  

ANT Lawyers is a Vietnam law firm with international standards, recognized by IFLR1000 on Financial and Corporate practice. We are an exclusive Vietnam member of Prae Legal, the global law firm network covering more than 150 jurisdictions. The firm provides a range of legal services as following to multinational and domestic clients.

This publication is designed to provide updated information of legal matters, and does not constitute professional advice.


Work permit in Vietnam

Foreign employee working in Vietnam is required to have work permit issued by respective Department of Labour, War Invalids and Social Affairs (“DOLISA”) of province or city where the company that sponsor work permit registers the business.  

Failing to comply would lead to foreign workers to be deported by Vietnam Public Security at the request of DOLISA.  Vietnam Labour Code and Decree 102/2013/ND-CP effective on Nov 1st, 2013 provide details of the regulations on foreign employment in Vietnam.  It is suggested that companies wishing to employ foreign workers and foreign workers to counsel with employment lawyers in order to ensure compliance.  Our employment lawyers in Vietnam keep following up with the changes in labour regulations  in Vietnam to give our clients the best service.
As the current regulations, the foreign employee might be asked to present his/her work permit at entering or leaving Vietnam or when requested by government authority.  The companies seeking to employ foreign workers are only allowed to employ for managerial or technical positions which Vietnam employee could not meet the requirements of the jobs.  Before employment of foreign workers, the companies will have to report the demand to, and get the approval from the People’s Committee of the province or city where the employers register their business. 
The dossiers submitted to DOLISA have to include: i) application form; ii) health certificate; iii) certificate of criminal record; iv) document to prove managerial or technical experience; v) approval of People’s Committee; vi) passport size pictures; vii) passport; viii) and documents related to the purpose of foreign workers in Vietnam i.e. labour contract, assignment letter. The work permit is valid for two years.
In order to seek further advice, please contact us at or call + 84 35202779.  ANT Lawyers, your lawyers in Vietnam.